Thursday, September 19, 2013

New Book Review - All You Need Is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka



Book Name - All You Need Is Kill
Writer - Hiroshi Sakurazaka
Published By -
Haikasoru / Viz Media

First of all I didn't know this was going to be a Hollywood movie when I started but found out when I was about 1/3rd through (otherwise I might have read some other "Haikasoru" novel).
If you have read the synopsis you know this is gonna be sci-fi time loop story, you know there is going to be action, and you definitely know this book is heavily video game influenced.
And you would be write on all accounts, this is a book where a private called "Keiji" is caught in a time loop after dying and fights the same losing battle against aliens everyday. There is a female soldier from America (so cliche) who is the best warrior for humankind and she kinds of helps the protagonist to understand whats happening, in between there is a bit of background on the enemy, a bit of world building and a touch of romance thrown in.
As it goes it is a kind of story where you always kind of see where the plot is going, yet you are satisfied with the overall result, the progress is quite predictable yet the end is likeable.
My main gripe with this short and fast paced novel is that there is not enough action as was advertised my the synopsis or as was necessary (or may be just not for my liking, but I got this to read action like video games and I didn't get much of that). On the other hand the character building is quite nicely done especially for the main character who progresses through the same trial over and over again to maturity.
All in all it was a short and average read which would have scored a bit higher by me if I had more world building or action or if some of the side characters were not so generic.
My final score is 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment